Saturday, December 11, 2010

Animal Crossing

Did you play Animal Crossing as a child?

If one game defined my childhood, it was Animal Crossing. It was like having an alternate, idyllic life. When most people play that game they only play for 15 minutes at a time, unless they have something important to do, like complete a festival or do some heavy-duty remodeling. I always played that game for hours and hours at a time: I had a insanely lucrative fruit growing operation that kept me busy as fuck.

My town’s name was Town (I was such an original little 10 year old) and the native fruit was Apples. The entire lower section of my map, from the sea to the police station and up near the rock cliffs, were all Oranges, pears...and money trees. I even got the game with the special memory card. I loved Animal Crossing, but games just slip away sometimes like real-life friends, and I guess that’s what happened in this case.

Animal Crossing and the Gamecube just became background dust, and when we got the Wii, the Gamecube disappeared completely. I only got 12 dollars for it when I traded it in, and that made me a little bitter. Animal Crossing wasn’t worth much at all, like 6 dollars, and I wish I’d never traded it, for both sentimental reasons, and for my sanity’s sake. But, now the 360 has taken the Wii’s place, and it’s the Wii’s turn to take up dust along side the lost Gameboy Colors and the obscure gameboy advance.

Today I decided to dust off the Wii and play a little Starfox Adventures. I normally keep that game in a large box filled with games, wires, controllers and memory cards, but I couldn’t find it today. I must have looked for at least 15 minutes, digging around through Tony Hawks and Grand Theft Autos and Pokemon- I was about to give up and just play the 360 when I dug up something from the very bottom. It was an unmarked game-case that I’d never seen it before, but upon opening it up...

I saw Animal Crossing, and in the little slot where you can store your memory card was the original grey one that contained the free NES game. I figured it must have been my sisters town, or a copy that a friend had left at my house, so I shrugged and put it in, mostly for old times sake.

You can notice when certain things are off pretty quickly, even more so when you grew up with the thing in question. The discrepancies are amplified, and right from the get go, I knew the theme music was off. I didn’t know what- but something was off. In the very beginning during the title screen, the music starts off with the steady drum beat, and then the piano comes in.

There was no drum beat, it just cut to the piano, and in a few seconds, the drumbeat came in...but it was off. Just by a little bit, enough to make me notice and cringe, almost like someone had taken the drums and tweaked the rhythm by a hair and took piano part and changed the pitch. The bright yellow, happy logo letters came were normal, but the white letters underneath, with the copyright and the 2001, 2002 Nintendo was missing altogether, instead, there was this weird symbol that looked like a sideways 8.

At this point, I thought the game was just a little weird- the graphics looked fine, and everything else was normal, so I pressed the start button.

Normally there’s this whole loading scene when you talk to one of the animals in your town and select your character. This was there, but it was weird: it wasn’t a character I recognized., He was a dog with the same head-shape as K.K Slider, but he was completely black and had glowing, yellow eyes. The character had no name at all in that little green bubble, but I placed him. He was an altered version of Lucky, that freaky ass dog wearing the bandages in both Wild World and the Gamecube version.

Another thing was wrong: the language. Instead of being cute gibberish, it was deeper and more pronounced, so it didn’t sound like gibberish: it sounded like some kind of legitimate, foreign language, and just something about the tone made it seem like it was more sinister and intense then I ever remember any aspect of that game being. The dialogue was pretty normal, but when you start a new town or play on a new memory card, K.K Slider is supposed to introduce you.

Obviously, that wasn’t the case, and the weird Lucky went through K.K’s normal speal, till the very end. He said that life on your own was lonely, but with friends, it could be even funner, especially when you’re friends with someone...FOREVER. I don’t know if you’ve ever reset your game before, but when Resetti, that fucking mole, gets pissed at you for reseting, the font is huge. Forever was just as big as Resetti at his angriest.

I mentally put two and two together: the symbol in the green name bubble was the infinity symbol. I was a bit unsettled, to tell you the truth, but before I could freak out or anything, it cut to the train scene.

I’m not going to say that I wasn’t freaked as fuck, but I WAS LIVING in a creepy pasta! I mean, come on, this kind of thing happens once in a lifetime! I thought, “what harm can a game do? It’s Animal Crossing.” I know in hindsight that I was being extremely fucking retarded. The train scene started alright. Rover came out normally, went through his thing: he asked me the date, I confirmed it, he called me a big help, laughed at his own joke, and then did the rest of his speech exactly how I remembered. It seemed normal, and it got me feeling better about this situation.

Until I noticed that old Boar lady, Joan, I think who sells the turnips on Saturday morning.

If you were attentive when you played Animal Crossing on the Gamecube, you’d notice that she sits behind you on the train, snoozing, and randomly waking up and looking around...well, first of all, Joan had noticeable bags under her eyes, and they looked much more sunken in, like she had take up meth or something. Every time she opened her eyes...they were fucking bleeding. The blood, and her pupils, here hyper-realistic: it looked like someone had videotaped someone with bloody eyes and pasted it onto her sprite. I fucking screamed and nearly dropped the controller: the game continued.

Rover asked my name. I didn’t type a response, but...something told him my name was Lucky. The little gamecube-controller keyboard thing on the screen was moving by itself, and the noise it made moving from letter to letter was a high pitched squeal, like a fucking pig. Normally, he’ll laugh at your name...but he was silent. He just stared. He then asked me (or whatever the FUCK was playing at that point) if I liked my name. The cursor moved to “Isn’t it cool?”

There was no text at this point. Rover just stared. I couldn’t move: the background music, which had been normal up to this point, started humming and screeching and overpowering everything else. I was transfixed: I couldn’t look away as Rover blinked. When his eyes opened again, they were just like Joan’s, except closer up, and you could see the blood running down his face and into his mouth. The music got to a point when I had to cover my ears before it stopped.

Everything fucking stopped. There was no noise: not the music, not the train whistles. Nothing. Rover started to bleed more in the silence, blinking and just staring. Blood started to pool on his lap, and trickled down to the floor. You could hear it hit the ground, even over the music. Plic. Plic. Plic.

Then the screaming started. I’ve never heard anything like it: long, hideously drawn out screams that filled my head and butchered every though inside. Rover started to melt away in front of me: his mouth just kind of bled into his face, his ears bled into his head, and his eyes bled through everything and coated everything in blood as the screaming grew louder and infinity symbols, of extremely low resolution, flashed in random places all over the screen, and then, as quickly as it started, the horror stopped. It was black. Everything was gone.

I forced myself up off the ground, and I think I might have vomited. It took all I had to fling myself at the wii and shut that thing off. I must have laid there for 15 minutes.

Before I shut the damn thing off, I saw something. It had eyes, and the eyes were waiting for me at the end of my bed last night. I woke up to him, just huddled there. I can see him now out of the corner of my eye. He’s waiting for me to do this.

This is my suicide note.

Goodbye.

50 comments:

  1. If it wasn't for the Haunted Majora's Mask incident back in September, I would've enjoyed this one bit more. But I'll try not to be biased:

    I'll agree that Rover can be pretty creepy. I'd hate to wake up in the middle of the night and see him standing next to my bed, smiling at me, with those piercing red eyes. Mediocre pasta is mediocre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as I read he was about to play Starfox Adventures willingly, I knew it was fake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I the only one who finds all these 'omg a haunted video game!!' creepypastas really underwhelming?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haunted Video Games are the ones that are fucking funny but also Creepy (; But did he really kill his self ? No point in that . Games Like that are Haunted or Hacked. I would say if it was doing that , Maybe Both. Thanks For Reading (; Byee !

      Delete
  4. No i'm with you on that.These haunted video game stories are really going down hill.The majora's mask one was interesting at first, and the 2 Pokemon ones are kinda cool.As is the Polybius story..Also somewhat believable,seeing how lights and sounds can cause death to seizure pron players.Or potential suicide urges in already mentally unstable people.The other ones have just been steadily going down hill.While becoming less and less convincing.This one started losing it's appeal in my opinion.right about the time he mentioned the copyright was replaced with a "sideways 8" pretending not to have realized that means infinity till later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. also let me creepypaste the part that made me lose nearly all interest


    I’m not going to say that I wasn’t freaked as fuck, but I WAS LIVING in a creepy pasta! I mean, come on, this kind of thing happens once in a lifetime! I thought, “what harm can a game do? It’s Animal Crossing.” I know in hindsight that I was being extremely fucking retarded.

    No,
    Just no.

    I kind of enjoyed it but some parts needs to be omitted for best effect

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think creepypasta about video games are really bad in general. They're really boring and not believable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They need to have Videos To prove it -__-

      Delete
    2. If it was real then they should have stuff for it or its fake

      Delete
  7. I used to think the video game pastas were getting old, but I would MUCH prefer these to those urban legend type "they went camping and there was a serial killer OHHHHH" stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was kinda good... I had an urge to turn on the lights when it said "The cursor moved to “Isn’t it cool?” and after that, the staring, the bleeding and screaming part was so random that I just had to stand up and turn on the lights...

    ReplyDelete
  9. But why is huddle up thing waiting? Why suicide? It seemed like it just wanted to fuck with him. Plus, why the fuck didn't he just upgrade to City Folk?

    ReplyDelete
  10. hyper realistic eyes?
    like in squidward's suicide?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just putting this one out there, one thing made absolutely no sense, therefore it is absolutely 100% unbelievable to me.
    "There was no noise: not the music, not the train whistles. Nothing. Rover started to bleed more in the silence, blinking and just staring. Blood started to pool on his lap, and trickled down to the floor. You could hear it hit the ground, even over the music."
    There was no music, yet he could hear the blood hitting the floor over the music? I'm normally easily scared. REALLY easily scared, but that made this absolutely boring. Extremely unconvincing after reading that. : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. This made me scared at a couple of parts,but it could have been better. Meh creepypasta is meh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Summary: Im gonna kill myself because this game that isn't even that old freaked me out.

    BLEH.

    ReplyDelete
  14. >played animal crossing as a child...

    >released in 2002...

    don't know the average age of the reader but i was 20 at the time...

    ReplyDelete
  15. ...So...what?
    Is "Lucky" a forbidden word?
    Wow...maybe it is...When I typed it, my computer spazzed out for a second...Not even freaking joking you...
    But seriously, I don't get it...the "Shadow" Lucky (then again...maybe not...my computer's fine now), Joan with her bleeding Meth eyes, and the thing with Rover...the infinity sign...I don't get it...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way too similar to dead channel/BRVR, so i have seen this all before

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, this is the OP of this pasta.
    I never thought this many people would read this pasta! Looking back I realize that most of your criticisms are founded in actuality and I thought I'd explain a few things.
    I'm 18, I was born in 1993. Animal Crossing came out in 2001, so I was 8 when it first came out. I probably started playing it around 2005, so underage b&a isn't required.
    I set out to write a pasta heavily influenced by the 'lost episode' kind of thing and I think that's why it's kind of caught on, if it has at all, and I recognize the unoriginality it contains.
    There were always subtle things that scared me about Animal Crossing, but Lucky the dog was the worst. I always thought about what he looked like under those bandages, and what happened to him to make him that way... Well, whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought and still think Lucky is cute. :3

      Delete
  18. Majora's Mask.
    That one was actually creepy.
    This was lame... Seriously? I would giggle if Rover's eyes were bleeding. He smiles too damn much. Animal Crossing is just too cute and harmless to seem creepy. But the Elegy Statue in Majora's Mask.... *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That One Was Creepy .... But Look Up ----> Creepy + Pasta: Pokemon Snap!

      Delete
  19. My God. Why are the characters who experience these things always such pussies--

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, its not that they especially experience those things... they just experience it as 'Creepypasta'
      because they ARE pussies.
      Not that this is normal, but writers might get too scared of their own story that they introduce their character as pussie! So they dont have to make it TOO scary, lawl. I want some REAL creepypasta NAO.

      Delete
  20. Check out my blog of creepy pasta I've written. As I write more, I post them on that blog.
    http://holyfuckthatsfreaky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. midnight and very quiet at my house... you know when its this quiet there is ALWAYS a random noise? yeah, i was reading this and i almost jumped out of my chair XD

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's too early to appeal to Gamecube nostalgia. Maybe try again in a few years.

    Also, calling the Gameboy Advance obscure? Really? -Really?-

    Oh, but it's a CREEPYpasta, so of course it needs blood and hyper realism! And a mysterious "sideways 8"! (I'm reminded of the bash.org quote along the lines of "how did you make that inverted b?") And overreactions from the player! Aw man! I am freaking out all over the bucket right here!

    And that ending. Seriously? Ugh. This started off merely charmingly naive, before degenerating into a cookie cutter haunted game story. Kinda liked the thing about the music being off though.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yeah you might have wanted to change the Sound went off and music got distorted and weird sections around to make the plic sounds being louder than the music make sense

    And the sideways 8 is too obvious to be misunderstood as anything else than an infinity symbol...

    I liked it but there was things that made it not as good as it could have been...

    I did however get a hella big chock while reading it since the retard who just moved into the apartment under me decided to slam his front door so hard that my whole fucking apartment shaked -.-''

    ReplyDelete
  24. "This is my suicide note."
    "Goodbye."

    That kinda killed it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I play Starfox Adventures willingly. it happens to be one of the few game games i have...that i actually like playing. As for the story, well...I've read enough of these to no longer be able to shit bricks. Disturbing thing, though...I've often noticed that my shadow moves on it's own...and it has this creepy grin at times...the kinda grin where you can see every pointy tooth...And just as suddenly as it does this, it goes back to normal. Any ideas what might be happening? It's creeping me out.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't know what everyone's talking about I LOVED IT!

    ReplyDelete
  27. this is so boring and so easily fake!!!!
    stop coming back here with ur stupid stories

    ReplyDelete
  28. "Everything fucking stopped. There was no noise: not the music, not the train whistles."

    "You could hear it hit the ground, even over the music."

    You might want to correct this.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great story, though it seems that it lost it during the end. I thought there would be an explanation for what "lucky" is. The sideways 8 symbol is too easy to guess. But all in all, you creeped me out. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is...mediocre at best. I liked it and all, but seriously. I liked it, and I play Animal Crossing for about 2 hours straight, because besides PC, I need to kill some time, ya know?

    But I actually have a change of heart on Resetti. If you either don't see him often, mash the B button, and ignore his speeches and the crap you have to do to forgive him (Like say sorry, say "Me = Bad", etc).

    And I didn't think of the sideways 8 until I read these comments. It creeped me out and all though.

    @Anonymous with the toothy grin comment : Well, our eyes play tricks on us. You ever seen an optical illusion? They seriously creep me out on how they work.

    Play Doom 3. Everything there isn't as it seems.
    End of comment.

    @Anon saying it's fake : Shut up, troll, this is decent. I bet you can't do much better. Don't criticize unless you actually know. That's kinda hypocritical, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I perosnaly was a HUGE fan of animal crossing, and absolutely loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm SOOO naming a caracther Lucky now....

    ReplyDelete
  33. Animal crossing is fucking horrifying anyway, i'd prefer the play your version

    ReplyDelete
  34. If I was to make one of these unlike the rest it wouldn't be any "eyes bled through" or "it was hyper-real" or any of the "it wouldn't shut off even when I unpluged it" UNLESS it was to make a joke outta your post that's all they really do. not to be mean but it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  35. holy fuck, okay this is my first time ever coming across one of these 'creepy pasta' shit things, i still dont even understand, but that freaked me out so bad, just because this was my first experience with the whole thing. chills, oh my gosh.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I never found these haunted video game creepypastas scary at all. They all sound so fake, and the way that the "scary shit" and the music is described is just...pathetic, almost. I mean, if there were nicely edited pictures to go along with most of these, they might be a bit better, but most of them are just copies of the other ones, and they all end up the same.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ugggn. I literally laughed at "this is my suicide note."

    Tell me, when the "glowing red eyes" appeared at your bed were they as pixelated as they were in the game?
    "How dare you sell your copy of an old game!"

    There was a lot of potential for creepy pasta in Animal Crossing. The game was itself a treasure cove of secrets and easter eggs, and a lot of the game was simply too cheery and something underneath it was kind of frightening.

    But horror is all about subtlety. "Then, I died" is a dumb way for a video game to influence you. You can't say that the game affected you in reality, you have to hint at it. "BEN DROWNED" never had anything about Link reaching out of the screen and ear fucking him. The essence of the game, the HINT that maybe there is something MORE to the game is what's scary. The fact that the game is playing you when you think that you're playing it.

    Video game creepy pasta doesn't have to suck. It can be creepy. But the video game "coming out of the screen" just makes it more and more laughable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this pasta was not well cooked

      no compliments to the chef

      Delete
  38. Wow, Excellent, I love this release that I collcet from at PIJ. Its really awesome. Thanks for sharing! http://bit.ly/animal-crossing-3ds

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm no liar and I literally thought about the entire thing and I think I jizzed my pants *checks them* yep, I did

    ReplyDelete
  40. Web security is very crucial these days. If you are using the internet on your system without any antivirus or anti-malware software, the risk of your system getting infected with a malicious element is high. It can be a virus, malware, or any other trick that can be used on your system to steal or malfunction the data stored on your device. As the technology is spreading and developing, various new ways of challenging your digital security are coming into existence; thus, it is wiser to use an antivirus that keeps updating new challenges and stays robust against all threats. Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus is one such software by downloading at Download webroot with key code.
    Download webroot with key code | Download webroot with key code | Enter norton product key | Enter norton product key | Enter norton product key

    ReplyDelete