Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Well to Hell

Newspapers in Finland were the first to report this story as an actual event. From there, it has spread around the world.

Engineers working on the Kola Peninsula in Siberia were drilling a well, searching for oil or natural gas. In addition, they found rare geological formations and even gold. Eager to discover what else the well would yield, they kept drilling.

After more than a year, the well was about 1,800 miles deep. Then one day, the drill bit suddenly began to rotate wildly. The geologist and engineers felt a blast of searing heat gush out of the hole and thought they heard faint sounds emanating from the well. They raised the drill and lowered temperature gauges to measure the heat at the bottom of the hold. It registered over 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit.

"We've penetrated to the molten center of the earth," the geologist said.

"But that doesn't account for the sounds," one of his colleagues answered back. So they lowered highly sensitive microphones down the hold. Up from the well came sounds of agonizing screams. "We haven't penetrated the earth's core," the geologist said, "We've entered the gates of Hell!"

Variations:

As alternate version set the story at an Alaskan oil rig, where 13 workers were killed when the Devil came roaring out of Hell. Another states they were digging for oil, smelled sulfur, and heard sounds emanating from the hole crying-"Help us!" or "Get us out of here!"

Underwater Screams
Urban Legend
5/7/07

I’m not much of a writer, keeping memoirs was never something I used to do, but I will try my best to make this look neat and polished.

First I guess I should introduce myself. My name is William Christopherson, and I am a scuba-diver. Or rather, I used to be a scuba-diver. I worked in underwater research, taking pictures beneath the ocean and gathering various specimens of fish for studying. I was been doing this crap for fifteen years while paying alimony for my kids.

One day I got up early for another ordinary dive into the ocean. None of us knew what was going to happen that day. We all though it’d be just like any other dive. I got on the boat with the rest of my buddies and we sailed quite a ways out there into the ocean, then all us divers went into the water, about two hundred or so feet deep. Nothing unusual, just do the job, come up, dive in again, do the job, come up, and so on and so forth until quitting time. Well before the second or third dive, we went out a little ways further on the boat, about thirty leagues west of our present location. I and the other guys dove in, thinking it was just another dive.

I got separated from the rest of the group while underwater. Normally, that shouldn’t happen, one of the rules of scuba-diving is to stick together. Just out of curiosity I decided to check out this underwater cave that sat way at the bottom. It was dark, really dark, and deep. I had my flashlight with me, so it wasn’t too bad; but even then the darkness was something else, surreal in a way. It was as if you could feel it, that’s how friggan dark it was.

I hadn’t been in that cave ten minutes when suddenly I heard horrific screaming coming from up ahead. I honestly can’t describe the terrifying sounds I heard, except that they were human voices screaming at the top of their lungs, as if they were in lots of pain. At the same time, the water had gotten warmer, not by much, but enough to detect a difference in the temperature. But those screams made my flesh shiver with absolute horror; I don’t remember when I have been that scared before. I swear to God there were hundreds maybe millions of screams coming from that cave, men and women and maybe some children. I was so freaked out at those shrieking voices, I couldn’t stand it. I rushed to get out of the cave, swimming as fast as I could, not looking back. I was breathing heavily, something that isn’t safe to do while underwater scuba-diving.

I got up onto the boat safely, shaking like a leaf. My buddies and the other guys aboard couldn’t understand what was wrong with me, and I didn’t tell until a few days later. No one believed me, they all thought I was friggan crazy.

I don’t know what those screams were, but I knew they were there, I heard them with my own ears. A few people I’ve told this story to say that I heard the screams from Hell itself, at first I thought them insane, but now I’m beginning to believe them. My friends think I’m insane, they don’t believe one word of my experience. I quit my scuba-diving job and took up employment at a hardware store somewhere in town.

I’ve sworn to myself I will never dive or go in the water again. I have never forgotten those screams, and I never will. They haunt me in my dreams every night, but I don’t tell anyone about the dreams, I don’t need anymore of their “You’re crazy” crap. My life has changed since that horrible encounter in the cave; I’ve become more realistic about the reality of Hell. As an atheist I don’t believe in God, but as a scuba-diver having hearing those screams from nowhere, and in an underwater cave yet, screams that have left a permanent mark on my life, I must say I do believe in a Hell. According to many religious doctrines, and the Well to Hell hoax, Hell is located at the center of the Earth, I firmly believe that to be true today. I have listened to the alleged “screams from hell” audio clip, and I can honestly say it’s a phony, the real screams sound nothing like that. The real ones are worse, much worse, more horrifying than you could ever imagine. That audio recording is like Brahms Lullaby trying to pass off for heavy death-metal, it’s definitely not the same shrieking voices I heard in the cave. The real screaming is indescribable, you just can't imagine it.

It’s taken a lot of guts for me to finally write this part of my life, after having been criticized and called a lunatic by so many people. I’m not afraid to have my name in print explaining my story, and I thank Urban Legends for being here for me to tell my experience. Hell is real, and I wish it weren’t. I don’t know if there’s any chance escaping it, but I know it’s there, at the center of the Earth. I heard the screams, I know it’s true. No one can tell me differently, I know it’s for real. Thanks for reading my story.

(Note: Urban Legends is a part of the website I got this story from)

15 comments:

  1. "friggan"

    /facepalm

    ReplyDelete
  2. that second story freaked me the fuck out because my name is christopher william..

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as I saw 1,800 miles deep, I stopped reading this crap

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Earth's crust is only a few miles thick. The fact that they experienced blasts of heat when by all rights they should have been deep inside the mantle... shit, this is bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Earth's crust is 0-22 miles deep according to Wiki.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hell is not real, if hell was real priests wouldn't touch little boys, just saying, medieval device used to make people obey the law and sadly people waste their lives being afraid of it. Ive seen a lot more proof of spiritual afterlife than heaven or hell bullcrap. Just my opinion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to break the news to you Sherlock but, Hell is real & I think I'll take God's word on it before I would yours. It just amazes me how some people automatically dismiss hell. Could it be, they are about to reside there & they don't like the idea of some place like that is very real ?

      Delete
    2. I agree with you Obelisklarvan That crap isnt real at all

      Delete
  7. The scuba diver one just sounded the best, in spite of the use of "friggan", IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How can you hear screams underwater?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hell and god and heaven are not real.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, but I just don't get scared by religous stories, it always feels as if sombody is trying to convert me.

    And I think the first one is actually very funny. They dig 1800 miles deep, hear screams and intstead of reasoning that their instruments might not work in 2000° Fahrenheit, the SCIENTISTS simply state that they have found hellXD

    Let alone the scientific inaccuracies

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I believe creepypastas are on here to scare the reader and have them figure out for themselves whether it is true or not. Though I felt that this story wasn't very well written, I have heard this story before, well told and with AUDIO. I personally believe that it's true but hey, everyone has their own opinion.

    http://www.amightywind.com/hell/aboutsounds.htm

    I left a link. You don't have to believe it if you don't want to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A patch kit (a few different patch sizes,carbon road framessandpaper or a metal scraper, and a tube of glue), a set of tire levers, and an air pump.
    Inspect Tire
    With the wheel removed from your bike, inspect the outer ICAbike01 surface of the tire to make sure there are no sharp objects like a thumb-tack or thorn stuck in the tread.
    Remove Tir
    Remove the valve cap and fully deflate thecarbon fibre bike framestube by depressing the valve stem with the hooked end of your tire lever. There are two main types of valve stems, a schrader valve and a presta valve. This tutorial is based on a schrader valve, but I will be covering the different valve types in another tutorial.
    Now it’s time to remove your tire, one side at a time. Choose a section of tire that is away from the valve and hook one of the tire levers under the bead, directly in line with one of your spokes. Pry one side of the tire bead over the edge of the rim, and then hook the end of the tire lever to the nearest spoke. Insert another tire lever two spokes away from the first, and a third another two spokes away. Now the middle lever should fall out, and you can continue the process. When the tire is loose enough you can just run a tire lever around the rest of the rim to pull the whole side over.
    After you have removed one side of the tire, the other side should come off very easily.
    Inspect Tube
    Now remove the tube from the tire, and try to keep track of where it was positioned in relation to the tire. Inflate the tube to approximately twice its original size. This will expand the hole making it easier to find.
    Listen carefully to the entire circumferencechina carbon framesof the tube; you should hear a hissing sound that will indicate where the leak is. As a last resort you can submerge the tube in water and watch for bubbles, but you’ll want to avoid doing this as you’ll need the tube to be completely dry in order for the patch glue to work.
    Once you’ve found the leak, take note of whether it is on the inner or outer side of the tube.
    If the hole was on the outer side of the tube, inspect the inner surface of the tire in that spot to make sure the object that caused the puncture is not still stuck in the tire. Double check the entire inner side of the tire by running your fingers along the entire surface, feeling for obstacles along the way.
    If the hole was on the inner side of the tube,zipp 404inspect your entire rim to make sure there are no sharp burrs in the metal, and that the rim tape is properly protecting the tube from your spoke ends.
    Now that the rim and tire are clear, it’s time to patch the tube. Select an appropriate sized patch for the hole. Use the sandpaper or scraper provided in your kit to buff the surface of the tube for an area a bit larger than the patch. You need to buff the tube so that it is no longer shiny. If the molding line is running along the area where the patch is to be applied, you must sand it down completely, or it will provide an air channel. Once buffed, avoid touching that area with your fingers.
    Apply a dab of rubber cement, and then spread it into a thin coat, using your cleanest finger. Work quickly. You want a thin, smooth coat of cement; if you keep fiddling with it as it begins to dry, you’ll risk making it lumpy. The thinner the cement, the faster it will dry. It is very important to allow the cement to dry completely.
    Peel the foil from the patch and press the patch onto the tube firmly, squeezing the patch tightly onto the tube.

    ReplyDelete