Thursday, November 4, 2010

To Fix You

It's cold. I don't know where I am. Why am I so cold? I should open my eyes. I need to open my eyes. Are these my eyes? I bring up a hand and I touch my face. It's smooth. I have a nose. And eyes. I open my eyes. I look around. Do I live here? Where exactly is here? The walls are old, I must not be a very good homeowner, because I even I can see the walls are slowly rotting away.

Why did I let my home decay like this? Is this my home? I sit up. My body feels strange, almost like I don't belong in this body. I look around. I have to see what I look like. There is something I'm supposed to remember. something important. Why is there no mirror in here? Why do I wear a nightgown? Am I old?

As I stand, I can feel my vision graying a bit and I blink until I can see the door again. Where are my shoes? Why don't I have a dresser in my bedroom. There are some slippers by the wall, maybe I should put them on. I put them on. They're too thin. It hurts my feet. I open the door, or, rather, try to. It's not opening. I have to open the door. I knock on the door. Why have I locked it? Where is my key? Finally, it opens. Oh, I seem to have a lady friend.

"I can't remember you," I say. It feels familiar. She sighs but opens the door, letting me out.

"That's normal, Mister Jones," she says and I step out into the corridor.

"Why don't I have a dresser in my room? Where's my clothes?" I ask her.

"Talk to the doctor, Mister Jones," she says and closes my door. Then she locks it.

"Should I have a key to my own door?" I ask her. She sighs and walks down the corridor. How rude. At least, my name is Mister Jones. Now I know. I walk after her. There has to be someone else in this place. There's a lot of doors here. Maybe they cant ell me what I look like. "Excuse me, can I have a mirror?" I ask my lady friend.

"No, Mister Jones. You may not," she unlocks a door and I hear screaming. Why are there screaming people at my house? "Mister Jones, the doctor will come shortly," she says. Oh. I'm sick. That's okay, the doctor will fix me.

"Am I sick?" I ask. My lady friend snorts and walks into the room she just opened, the room with the screaming. Is it my imagination or is this place getting darker? Oh, there's a person. Maybe I look like him. "Hello? I'm Mister Jones. Who might you be?"

"Go! Run!" the man hisses as he walks past. "Run, damnit!" So I do. Just a few steps until there is a doctor there. He certainly looks like one. 

"Mister Jones, come with me, please," he says.

"Oh, good, are you going to fix me?" I ask. He nods and I follow him. The lights seem to blink. Must be an electrical problem. "Why do I keep my home in such poor condition?" I ask the doctor. He sighs and leads me to a door.

"Sit," he says. I sit. A man comes out on a gurney. He's sleeping. He must have been fixed. Just like I am going to. "Mister Jones, we're ready for you." The doctor comes out again and I stand, following him. "Lay down," He says. I lay down. They fasten leather straps around my wrists and ankles. "Bite on this." the doctor says and offer me something to bite on.

"Why?" I ask.

"To fix you," He answers and i nod, biting down on it. There is a flutter in the lights and a loud buzzing sound. And then there's pain. So much pain. And then, darkness.

It's cold. I don't know where I am. Why am I so cold? I should open my eyes. I need to open my eyes. Are these my eyes?

11 comments:

  1. pretty good. I likes it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was good but... The name Mr. Jones made it hard to take seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the main character were female and name Katie Holmes this would make more sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man... this is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds to me like the beginning of Nazi Zombies... O.o

    ReplyDelete
  6. DEW YEW, MISTAH JOWNES! DEWDEWDEDWEDWEDEWDEWDEWDEWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Electroshock therapy's...not nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lights will gui-iii-iii-de you home
    And igni-iii-iii-ite your bones
    And I will try
    to fix you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing I thought reading this

      Delete
    2. Thank you for writing what we knew we were all thinking. <3

      Delete