Thursday, November 4, 2010

Hell Bell

After the fourth generation of Pokemon disappointed him so much, my brother tossed me all of his Pokemon stuff in disgust. I received hundreds of cards to add to my collection, the Blastoise plush he won at King's Island nine years ago, and the Diamond game that completely swept away his love for the game and all things associated with it. That chapter of his life came to a sad close while mine just gained something to continue on.

Admittedly, the games that had come out for the DS disappointed me as well; there was just something about it all that made the magic the games normally held fade away a little. As a person who grew up with the originals, generation four simply wasn't 'my' Pokemon anymore. Regardless, I wasn't going to turn my back on something that accompanied me through my childhood simply because the game disappointed me a little.

In fact, I wanted Diamond. Dialga was a hundred times better looking than Palkia and I rather enjoyed the thought of finally getting to be the one to catch it this time around instead of having to hack one or trade for it.

Before I continue, I must tell you that this doesn't involve Dialga at all. I just like it and originally wanted Diamond, but had to settle for Pearl because my brother got to Diamond first. This DOES start off with a legendary Pokemon, however, though I'm certain that if I had used any other, the outcome would have been the same. This happening seemed to be meant for me. Otherwise, it probably wouldn't have happened at all, which I would have been completely fine with.

I started up his saved game just to see what all he had. His save information said he had all the Pokemon in his Pokedex, even the ones that had yet to be released through wireless events, which reminded me that he really enjoyed using Action Replay codes to enhance his gaming experience. That was probably the only thing that caused him to keep the game for as long as he did, but even cheating gets old after a while.

After starting his game, I checked his party. He had six shiny, level 100 Rayquazas. Like all the other Pokemon he owned, he caught them using the lengthy 'encounter any Pokemon' code where you had to discard heart scales to indicate which Pokemon you wanted to catch at level 100. While the Pokemon encountered with this code were about as weak as if you had given them a large number of Rare Candy, I still recall losing to these six frequently.

I had used this code myself throughout my first play-through of Pearl, and I traded these across the net to increase my chances of winning at the lottery...or, at least that's what I did before a friend scolded me and I was more or less forced to start over cheat-free. While he needed no Pokemon to complete his Pokedex and he didn't need to win any extra items, trading was always a fun experience for me just to see where they came from.

So, I went to Jubilife City and into the Global Trading Center to see what I could get for one of these Rayquazas. I know I could have traded anything, but I secretly held a grudge against these six for beating me so badly all those times.

Once in the trading network, I offered one up for a Bronzong that I had picked at random out of the first list. Of course, I couldn't choose a gender, but I chose the required level to be 100, just to make it more or less an even trade. After that, I left for a little while.

After doing nothing of particular interest for about six hours, I came back to see if I had any takers for the trade. I immediately got excited when the trade sequence started up. I know it was just a simple Bronzong, but still, I like this process a great deal. You could send me a Magikarp and I'll get excited for a little bit.

You know how the process goes; I won't bother explaining the actions on the screen to you. Long story short, I received a shiny Bronzong named 'Hell Bell.'

I was shocked to get a shiny in return. I never got a shiny when I traded in Pearl...but the name was unsettling to me. Being a slightly religious person, I'm not comfortable speaking about anything pertaining to Hell or anything like that. Even writing this makes me feel like I'm provoking a similar event to happen again. Let's just hope this functions as a learning experience for you and not something else for me.

After leaving, I checked its stats. Everything was set at 666, its old trainer was named 'Beelze' (which, again, both points slip into my sensitive area), and it was caught at Lost Tower and contained in a Cherish Ball.

Clearly, it was hacked, but that's what I get for offering up a hack first.

The stats and other information of the Pokemon disturbed me only for the fact that I didn't like its name or information, but I assumed it was fine otherwise. Regardless, I didn't want it, so I tried offering it up for trade again...but each time I tried to put it into the GTS, the game informed me that the Pokemon couldn't be offered in a trade.

This had happened to me several times before when I tried to trade hacked legendaries. I assume there's something in place that keeps people from getting truly ripped off...but I was able to trade that Rayquaza and 'Beelze' was able to trade me Hell Bell this go around. I didn't know why it wouldn't allow me to offer it again.

I still wanted to be rid of it, so the only other option I had was to release it. Before I went to the PC, however, I checked the item it was holding. The sender had attached mail to it, which was always fun, even though your choices for what to say are severely limited and the letters always come out painfully cheesy (That's one of the thing I don't like, the revamp of the mail system).

I chose Hell Bell and selected to read the mail, though the letter wasn't set up like it normally was in the game. It looked like it had actually been typed out like you used to be able to do in Gold and Silver. The message was only three words long.

"Take me back."

I wasn't quite sure what that meant. I certainly couldn't trade it again. Even if I could, there was no way I could make sure Hell Bell got back to Beelze, so I discarded the message and went to the PC to release it.

I selected the 'deposit Pokemon' option and selected Hell Bell to release it, but each time the party sprite shrunk away, it immediately came back with a message saying something along the lines of "Hell Bell doesn't want to leave you!"

Again, this had happened before when I was clearing out my PC box in my second play-through of Pearl. I wanted a little more room and decided to release a Shinx that I had caught early on in the game, but it kept coming back. I had thought it was cute then and made the Shinx (now a Luxray) a permanent member of my party since it appeared to like me so much, but now it was just annoying.

When I checked Hell Bell again, it was holding another mail item. It made no sense, since I had taken it away the first time. I opened it and read a slightly longer message.

"I can't go back on my own. Take me back."

Again, I took the item and tried to release it. Another failure.

When I tried to simply deposit it, the game told me to remove the mail item from the Pokemon before depositing. I know I had, twice even....but upon checking it again, Hell Bell had yet another mail item in its possession.

"Lost Tower."

It was finally getting more specific, which I found oddly relieving rather than feeling a little uneasy as I probably should have been. At least I knew where it wanted to go...maybe it'd leave my party after I took it there. I'd like to know why this Pokemon was making my game behave so strangely. The Pokemon was hacked, not the game itself. As far as I know a decent hack doesn't affect the game and a bad hack can make it crash...but this was doing neither, more like something in between.

Eager to get rid of it, I left the GTS building and stepped out into Jubilife. I was too impatient to pick an actual flying type out of the PC, so I just taught one of the Rayquaza the move 'fly' and chose to use it. Strangely, when I picked Solaceon Town from the map, the game informed that I couldn't fly there. I know my brother had visited the city before, so I don't know why I couldn't go there. I didn't take the time to actually think about it; I just flew to Hearthome instead.

I didn't waste time in Hearthome. I simply left to travel through Route 209 to get to the Lost Town and hopefully rid myself of this strange Pokemon somehow by taking it where it wanted to go.

I immediately noticed the lack of people on the route. Granted, I don't remember who all was there to battle and things of that sort, but I know there were at least a few people around. The area was completely vacant.

Well, not completely. There was one person, who I didn't quite recognize, quickly pacing back and forth where I believe an athlete once ran. The sprite there now was of a white-haired old man.

Curious, I spoke to him, which was where it began to get a little weird for me. He didn't say anything that made sense, but babbled over and over for an annoyingly long amount of time, much like when you speak to a specific cyclist on the bike trail in Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. You know, the one who knows where you got your bike because the name is all over it.

"RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL"

That meant nothing to me. I didn't bother speaking to him again, and continued to the tower.

Once inside, I tried to go up the stairs but something prevented me from moving for a moment. I thought all the hacked Pokemon had finally made the game screw up, but that wasn't the case. after a moment of complete silence, the sound of a deep, brazen bell began to slowly toll. (If you're curious about how that sounded exactly, start up your HeartGold / SoulSilver game. That bell is just like it.)
After about four rings, the tombstone in the center of the room cracked and shattered like someone had used Rock Smash on it. Beneath the tombstone was a hole. Since it wasn't allowing me to go up the stairs, I walked over and fell through the hole.

When I landed, I fell on a platform much like the one you find Arceus on in the Hall of Origin, except it was much darker. Where the transparent platform was white and glowing for Arceus, this one was more of a blackened red. It just seemed evil rather than the 'holy' vibe you get from the Hall of Origin. Coming from the platform was a set of wide stairs that looked as if they were made of black marble rather than white.

there was no way back up (I couldn't fly, had no diggers, and I lacked Escape Ropes), so I took the stairs and the bell (which I now assume was Hell Bell, considering that Bronzong is indeed a sort of bell) continued to ring slowly.

By now, I was feeling incredibly uneasy, but I continued down the stairs. As I went further, it began to get foggy and dark. when I reached the bottom, I was met with a narrow path with large pools of magma / lava on either side. It was beginning to look more like the cave in which you encounter Groudon in Ruby, except with better graphics.

The path continued in a straight line for about forty steps before hanging right for another forty and finally going up. The final path was long; magma still bubbled at the side and with each step I took, the ringing of the bell began to go faster - at least as fast as a large bell could ring - but it was still just an ominous, slow tolling. With each ring, I couldn't help but repeat what the old man NPC had said earlier. "Ring the bell."

Finally, I reached the end of the pathway, which was just as small was a 4x4 platform, and the bell stopped ringing. I wondered what I was supposed to do here; there was nothing to interact with, no way to release Hell Bell, and no way to get out. I received my answer in the form of a disembodied 'voice.' A dialogue box popped up.

"Oh, you've returned Hell Bell to me? I really appreciate it."

He faded into view one space in front of my sprite. It was just a simple 'gentleman' sprite. The party sprite of Hell Bell came out of me and stood in the space between us, facing him. The game informed me that I handed over Hell Bell.

Next, something popped up on the touch screen. It looked like the part of the trainer card where you sign your name. Again, the voice spoke.

"Would you mind telling me your name so I may thank you properly?"

Now, this confused me...actually, everything that was happening confused me, but this really threw me for a loop. First, the game should know the character name programmed into it from the start and, as far as I know, it can't actually recognize handwriting. Regardless, I began writing my brother's character's name, which was 'Dust.' I made the first stroke - it was in black 'ink' like normal - and made a 'D.' The voice stopped me.

"No, no, your real name, please. I can't thank you with a false name, you know."

My heart felt like it stopped for a second and sunk right into my stomach before violently bounding back up into my chest. How the hell did the game know that I wasn't signing my real name?

"Your real name, please."

Again, I began writing. Why I was listening to this, watching it all play out, when I could easily turn it off or start a completely new game, I didn't know. The thought simply didn't cross my mind at the time. I don't think it was allowed to.

The 'ink' in which I was now writing was a bright red color, but I still wrote my full name - first and last - in the space I was provided. After I was finished, the man spoke again.

"Good, now blow, please? We don't want the ink to smudge."

I blew into the mic and the 'ink' turned from bright to deep red. I was unable to make changes after that. Afterward, the screen disappeared and the man spoke again.

"Thank you, miss. You'll be happy to know that you now belong to me."

The bell tolled twice more as my sprite - currently male - turned to face me and shifted to the female sprite. It had brown hair and was wearing all black...just like I was at the moment.

Hell Bell moved forward, overlapping my sprite, and a final dialogue box popped up.

"Hell Bell used IMPRISONMENT!"

After that, my DS's battery died. I was shaken, I'll admit, but it just seemed like a twisted event brought about by some sort of secret within the game unlocked by a Pokemon, but now...

I can't sleep. Food seems to turn to ash in my mouth. No water can quench my thirst. People and animals both act as if the shadow of death is passing by them when I'm near. I'm not my own anymore. I belong to that man...and Hell Bell.

I don't know what became of that Pokemon, but if I received it, someone else is surely to do so. Use caution while using the trading system, please...and if you receive Hell Bell, don't hesitate to reset. Your special, once-in-a-lifetime event Pokemon aren't worth the cost of your very soul.

44 comments:

  1. Ha! I couldn't stop thinking about AC/DC the whole way through. Well except that I, hand to God, live not 5 miles from the intersection of highway 666 and 616 and at the corner of them is a goat farm where the farmer literally separates the sheep from the goats. It's crazy. Anyway, good pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry but, i put random pokemon into the trade system with mythological names, Recently i put a ditto named Loki into it :) and a Sudowodo name Yggdrasil

    ReplyDelete
  3. BravoGorilla: What country is that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Disputanta, VA 23842 here in the good old USA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome pasta. I haven't seen a good pokemon pasta in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why would you give some random guy the Bronzong I traded you? Geez.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss you Beelze. ; _ ;

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Your special, once-in-a-lifetime event Pokemon aren't worth the cost of your very soul."

    You'd think that, but I'm not giving up my collection of shinies and legendaries because some game wants my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am tempted to hack as many as possible of this Brozong, make this copy pasta viral, and send them all to mess with people and make them restart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The 'Food turns to ash" part reminded me of Pirates of the Caribbean 1 for some reason, anyway, the pasta was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The white haired old manDecember 26, 2010 at 8:13 PM

    RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL RING THE BELL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am tickled to death by this pasta. It was delicious pasta.

    @BravoGorilla - Disputanta? What do you know -- I have to drive through Disputanta every few months or so! It's on my way home from college.
    Don't actually have to go down highway 666 to get home though, thank goodness. But I did have to once, on a camping trip with my family -- I remember it going through Hillsville. Does it actually, or am I remembering wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This pasta is truly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing pasta. Very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool...I wish something like this would happen in the real game.
    You know, like you have to return a pokemon to a spirit and they do the whole "sign your name and blow" bit and then you have to verse him.
    Yeah...that'd be awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  16. this pasta needs some cheese on it

    ReplyDelete
  17. All this to trick people into thinking you're a female over the internet. Shameful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. ^ You saying females don't exist over the internet? I'm a female :|

    ReplyDelete
  19. You'll be happy to know that you all belong to me now. =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Why should i give up my team of shiny's for my soul!?!
    I'd rather have Haunter take my soul than Beelze
    BTW

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh man, now I have that old-ass disco song stuck in my fucking head. "You can ring my be-eeeee-eeeeell, ring my bell. *ding dong, dong ding* Ring my beeeeeee-eeeeee-eeeeeell, ring my bell!"

    Fuck you, pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I kinda want this to see if I do get possessed...

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is quite possibly one of the most asenine creepypastas I've read to date .

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an enjoyable pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  25. ...my god...this was...well...I'm a little shaken. NEVER have I encountered something like this before. I must experiment with this...to see if the experience is similar.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mmm, that's some good pasta! Like, holy crap! (Pun) I figured your character was going to Hell when you were on the Darkened Hall of Origin Platform, and, wow. You pulled everything together and didn't over dress the pasta! Absolutely no cheese on this dish! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Me too... AC/DC much? Anyway,cool story.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very Nice Pasta Haven't Read A Good One Until Right Now (:

    The Ending Didn't Like That Much But It Was All Good (:

    Loved It!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yeah, but I'm an atheist.

    I don't believe in the devil or souls.

    Also, Lucifer is a cool d00d. eh killz angels, and doesnt afraid of anything.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Quite entertaining :D Very nice

    ReplyDelete
  31. These comments made me giggle :3

    ReplyDelete
  32. one of the best pastas i've ever read. I was getting tired of seeing those over-exagerated,cliche pastas full of "blood curling scream this","blood flowing down face that","omg his face started to melt there",etc. stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This was actually very surprising to me at how good this was.
    Best Pokemon Pasta yet.

    ReplyDelete
  34. when people say girl on the internet, they mean G.I.R.L (Guy. In. Real. Life)

    ReplyDelete
  35. You wanna see a real girl on the internet, find me on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love how people screwed with the "Name/URL" option to call themselves Beelze and Hell Bell. One of the best pastas to date... I'll have to give it the "Bologneze (if I spelled that right)" ranking- the highest it goes for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I thought it was a great pasta until I got to the last two paragraphs. That just destroyed any suspension of disbelief.

    ReplyDelete
  38. WHAT THE FUCK THAT WAS MY BRONZONG I TRADED HIM TO YOU AND THEN WHAT DO YOU GO AND FUCKING DO YOU GO AND GIVE HIM AWAY TO A FUCKING RETARD YOU BITCH

    ReplyDelete
  39. CALM YO TITS, STRANGER.

    ReplyDelete
  40. "After leaving, I checked its stats. Everything was set at 666, its old trainer was named 'Beelze' (which, again, both points slip into my sensitive area),"

    What else slips into your sensitive area?

    ............me, in the future. Against your female will.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Beelze, WHAT THE FUCK DOUCHEFAGGOT

    ReplyDelete