Wobbuffet. What about it, you ask? I have devised a theory about it that may startle you. First, let us read what Dexter has to say about Wobbuffet.
- "It hates light and shock. If attacked, it inflates its body to pump up its counterstrike."
- "It desperately tries to keep its black tail hidden. It is said to be proof the tail hides a secret."
- "In order to conceal its black tail, it lives in a dark cave and only moves at night."
- "Usually docile, a Wobbuffet strikes back ferociously if its black tail is attacked. It makes its lair in caves where it waits for nightfall."
- "Wobbuffet does nothing but endure attacks - it won't attack on its own. However, it won't endure an attack on its tail. When that happens, the Pokemon will try to take the foe with it using Destiny Bond."
Dexter brings up some key points: the tail is very important to a Wobbuffet and it goes so far as to adopt a nocturnal cycle to protect it. It can also do such things as inflating itself to help it excel at counterattacking.
In conclusion, Wobbuffet is the black tail and its blue body is nothing more than a decoy - an inflatable sac of sorts akin to one of those inflatable punching bags.