Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Bird Cage

Black.

Feathers.

I can't escape,

It's...

---

As I awoke, shocked, from a fitful slumber I was met with a severe pain in my chest. Brushing my fingertips over the bumps of my ribs, I located an area of extreme tenderness. Carefully, I raised myself from the plush surface of my bed, cradling my injured side.

Making my way to the nearest bathroom, I lifted the loose night shirt that adorned my torso; staring back at my reflection in the pristine mirror, I found nothing wrong with my chest. Not a bruise, not a cut, not a single mark. But still, the intense pain persisted - I could almost pick out a steady rhythm to the pulse-like senation, and out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw a crow.

---

It won't stop, this persisting agony - my attempts at calming myself are moot. Breaths ragged, skin slick and shiny with sweat, my mouth dry; this was too much. I could hardly focus at work - other people can see it, I'm sure. Reluctantly, I poked my head into my boss's office, asking with all the strength I could muster a simple, "I need..."

He only had glance at me before his head bobbed up and down in a nod.

"It's fine."

---

It seems the only constant anymore is the radiating pain and the crow. The crow, I bgan seeing him again and again; he wasn't just a shadow I'd catch in my peripheral vision. In the beginning he may have been, but now I'd see him sitting, perched comfortably on my dresser. At first I was scared, throwing anything I could get my hands on at that ink-black bird, attempting to rid myself of him. But nothing worked, the objects just passed through him. He'd stare, unmoving, occasionally turning his head to the side - looking at me almost questionably.

I'm hallucinating, I must be. I'm going crazy, I must be.

---

I can't do this. I can't - this pain, that CROW. This is driving me insane. Stumbling to my small washroom, I once again lifted the hem of my shirt - and as before, there was not a single thing amiss on my pallid skin. But still, the "thump thump thump" continued on. it wasn't always there, you know, sometimes the pain would dissipate - leaving only a soreness. It seems the more distressed I become the worse it gets - with every rabid beat of my heart the pain escalates.

This needs to stop, I'm suffocating.

---

Surprisingly, I felt not a thing as the sharp blade punctured my chest. I slowly followed the line of my rib, stopping midway, blood spilling out in small rivulets. I set the crimson-stained blade aside, next to that bloody crow, and with shaky hands I poked my finger into the wound. I licked my lips, concentrating. As I made it further into my flesh, pulling it away slightly, the crow squawked. I whipped my head up at break-neck pace, settling my wide eyes on the bird.

That was the first time it hd ever made a sound since I had began hallucinating it.

As my finger pulled the skin of my chest back furhter, exposing the bone, the crow squawked again and again. With every tear and feverish scratch the pain faded; with every rib I exposed the searing burn receded. I became more frenzied in my ctions until my whole rib cage was bare to see. I touched the white of my bones - despite all my missing flesh, I didn't feel scared; rather, I was intrigued. The smell of iron was thick, the crow's loud noises oppressive - but I felt a sort of calm. I looked to the puddle of skin and blood and over to the mirror. What I saw staring back horrified me.

No, no, this can't be right.

Small, beady black eyes.

The crow came closer to me, since ceasing its squawking, and looked intently at my bare chest.

What laid within my chest cavity was a small, jet-black bird...

A crow.

(This story is credited to a person called Orihara.)

13 comments:

  1. This was excellent. Well written, intriguing, and creepy. I would've loved to see each part expanded on a little bit more, but... Wow. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! Great build up, genuinely creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was the creepiest thing I ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of an Edgar Allen Poe story. Wonderfully written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome!
    More of this please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. never going to sleep again but was really good

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't know why but I love this story...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it...but I dun get it. D:

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doesn't at all mimic the writing style of Edgar Allen Poe, and Poe wrote about a raven, not a crow, which are two different birds. A good, creepy story nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The two main types of braking systems used in bicycles today are caliper brakes and cantilever brakes.
    Both apply pressure on the rimalloy bike wheelof the wheel to stop the bike and are considered rim brakes.
    While calipers have been and continue to be the most common brakes found on bikes,
    the newer cantilevers arecarbon tubular rimsstronger ysbike01 and have become more popular in recent years.
    Rim brakes work through a system of levers and cables.
    Cables connect the brake levers (located on the handlebars) to the brake arms
    that surround the top ofalloy clincher rimthe wheels and are secured to the fork in front or seat stay in back.
    When the levers are flexed by hand, the cables pull, closing the brake arms around the rims.
    When the levers are released thecarbon wheelsbrakes spring back to their original position.
    The section of the brakes, called the brake pad or brake shoe,that comes into contact with the moving rim is usually made of rubber or leather to maximize the friction needed to stop.
    All other parts of the braking system—arms, cable, and levers—must be rigid
    and precisely positioned to transfer the relatively light force exerted by hands on brake leversto the high power needed in the brakes for effective braking.

    ReplyDelete