Saturday, September 18, 2010

Dangerous Roads

I was driving a shortcut from Twentynine Palms, CA to Albuquerque, NM. Twentynine Palms is located in the desolate high desert east of LA. The shortcut was all two lane road through total nothingness, except for passing through Amboy, CA. Amboy is a nearly abandoned town nearly as far below sea level as Death Valley, with a dormant volcano and lava field on one side and a salt flat on the other. It was also, at the time, a hotspot for satanic group activity.

So I was driving by myself in the afternoon. I stopped in Amboy and snapped a picture of the city sign, just to prove I was there to friends who dared me to take that route to I-40. I got back in my car and proceeded to drive up into the mountain range between Amboy and I-40.

Once I reach the top I am driving north through a canyon with high grass on both sides of the road. Up ahead I see some stuff in the middle of the road. As I approach I slow down to see a red Pontiac Fiero stopped sideways across both lanes, a suitcase open with clothes scattered everywhere and two bodies laying face down in the road, a man and a woman.
I stop a hundred feet or so away and the hair on the back of my neck is standing up. Being a Marine, I reach under the seat and pull out a 9mm pistol and chamber a round. Something seemed very wrong, it looked too perfect as if it were staged. An ambush? Was I being paranoid? Something was just wrong. Getting out of the car seemed unthinkable, it was the horror movie move.

As I scanned the road I saw a line I could drive. Pass the guy in the road on his left, swerve to the right side of the woman, behind the Fiero and I'd be on the other side. I dropped it into first gear, punched it and drove the line I planned.

 I passed the back of the Fiero without hitting it or either of the bodies in the road. I continued forward a couple hundred feet and slowed down so I could breathe and let my heart slow down. As I looked up into the rearview mirror I saw that the two bodies had gotten up to their knees and twenty or so people emerged from the tall grass on either side of the road by the car and bodies.
At that moment my right foot smashed the gas pedal to the floor and did not let up until I had to slowdown for the I-40 east onramp.

I will never know what would have happened to me had I gotten out of the car to check on the bodies or stopped my car closer to them. Somehow I do not think it would have been good. Sometimes real life can be scarier than a movie.

11 comments:

  1. Just wandering do you write your own stuff or do you find it on other websites like /x/ and stuff ?

    Also great job getting all this stories/tales

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find all of this on other websites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is how carjacking usually works outside of the city. They set up a trap to make the person get out... then take the car. This is a BIG problem in parts of Africa. If you have a car, somebody wants it, and if you drive along some roads, you WILL get ambushed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww shit....I was SO totally gonna go to Africa until I heard THAT...it sounded like such a lovely place beforehand...

      Delete
  4. They were definitely shooting a scene for a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey Inunah i have a few ideas for stories, if you want i could pitch em to you

    ReplyDelete
  6. IkorouCrow the Broken Hero, I am starting my own blog, Awesome horror stories, I desperately need stories, just email me at kingnothing153@gmail.com, I will give you full credit, and please spread the word. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blah... The sudden shift in tense ruined it for me. "I was driving a shortcut..." "I was driving by myself..." next paragraph it's "...I am driving north..." then it goes back to past tense again. Pretty sloppy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While it certainly is poor writing, like what a gentleman/gentlema'am of African descent might do, it ruined it for you? No offense intended but you're probably a whiny rich kid who think he or she (a fat she) is better than everyone else. Wait until you have kids, or go get your kids that you have now, and then kill yourself in front of them.

      No disrespect.

      Delete
  8. I came across this story back in 2008 on Fark. This was the poster.. echo5juliet.

    http://m.fark.com/comments/3985541/45887207#c45887207

    scroll about a a 1/4 way down and it's in blue.

    ReplyDelete