Tuesday, August 17, 2010

"Come follow me...."

During the first few days of the release of Pokemon Red and Green in Japan back in February 27, 1996, a peak of deaths appeared in the age group of 10-15 years.

The children were usually found dead through suicide, usually by hanging or jumping from heights, but some were more odd. A few cases recorded children who had begun sawing off their limbs, others sticking their faces inside the oven, and some choking themselves on their own fist, shoving their arms down their throat.

The few children who were saved before killing themselves showed sporadic behavior. When asked why they were going to hurt themselves, they only answered in chaotic screams and scratched at their eyes. When showed what seemed to be the connection to this attitude, the Game Boy, they had no response. However, when it was combined with either Pokemon Red or Green, the screams would continue and they would do their best to leave the room it was located in.

This confirmed the authorities' suspicion that the games, somehow, had a connection to these children and their deaths. It was a strange case because only a few children showed this behavior; many of them who had the same games were fine. The police had no choice but to pursue this, however. They had no other leads.

The police collected all the cartridges these children had purchased and kept them sealed away as strong evidence to look over later. They decided the first thing to do was talk to the programmers themselves. The first person they met was the director of the original games, Satoshi Taijiri.

When told about the deaths surrounding his games, he seemed slightly uneasy but admitted nothing. He led them to the main programmers of the game, the people responsible for the actual content.

The detectives met Takenori Oota, one of the main programmers of the game. Unlike Satoshi, he didn't seem unease, just very well-kept. Explaining that it was impossible to use something like a game to cause such deaths and also bringing up the point that not all children were affected, he brushed it off as some kind of odd coincidence or mass hysteria. It seemed like he was hiding something, but wasn't giving way.

Finally, Takenori did say something interesting. He had heard a rumor going around that the music for Lavender Town, one of the locations in the game, had caused some children to become ill. It was only a rumor and had no definite backup, but it was still something to look into.

He directed the detectives to Junichi Masuda, the music composer for the series. Masuda had also heard these rumors, but said that, again, they had no evidence that his music was the cause. Even to prove a point, he played the exact song of the game completely through with no effects to anyone.

Although they still had their suspicions about Masuda and the music of Lavender town, it seemed they had reached another dead end.

Going back to the cartridges they had seized from the homes of the children, they decided to take a slightly more direct look at the games. They knew it was these games that gave the children ill effects, so they took extreme caution. Popping in the cartridge and turning the handheld on, the game screen booted. The title screen appeared, as well as the option to continue or create a new game.

When they chose to continue the game, the stats of each game appeared. They saw the names of the children who had played, usually "Red" or another simple name. However, the interesting thing was the time played and the number of Pokemon they owned. On every game, the time was very low and all of them had only a single Pokemon.

They came to the stunning reality that it could not have been the music from Lavender Town that caused such ill effects in the children, since it was impossible to reach that part of the game in such a small amount of time and with only one Pokemon in their party. This brought them to the conclusion that something early on in the game had to be the cause.

If it wasn't the music or the title screen, it had to be something within the first few minutes of the game itself. They had no choice but to turn off the game and go bak to the programmers. Asking for a list of all the programmers from Takenori, they found, surprisingly, that one of the programmers had committed suicide shortly after the game's initial release.

His name was Chiro Miura. He was a very obscure programmer who provided very little for the game. Interestingly, he had requested his name not appear in the credits of the game, so it did not.

Looking over the evidence found at Chiro's apartment, they found many notes written in bold marker. Most of it was crumbled or marked out, making it very difficult to read. The few words they could find in the mess was, "Do not enter," "Watch out," and "COME FOLLOW ME." The detectives were unsure what these meant, but they knew they had to have a connection.

Upon further research, they discovered Chiro was good friends with one of the map designers, Kohji Nisino. This was probably the only reason Chiro had been given a part in making the game at all. Kohji Nisino, since the release of the game, had locked himself in his apartment, however. He was a recluse, only leaving in the dark of night to fetch anything he might need.

He told his friends and family he was mourning for his dear friend Chiro, but they didn't believe this. Nisino had locked himself up the day the game was released in stores, a few days before Chiro had killed himself.

It was troubling, but the authorities finally persuaded Nisino to sit down and speak with them. He looked as if he hadn't slept in days and had dark rings under his eyes. He stunk, his nails had grown black, and his hair was greasy and sticking to his forehead and neck. He spoke in stutters and murmurs, but at least had something to say.

When asked if he knew anything about the children who died after exposure to the game and if it had any connection to the game itself, he answered carefully, choosing his words thoughtfully before answering.

He told them his friend Chiro had an interesting idea for the game, something he wanted to try since he heard the project was starting. Nisino himself knew Takenori, the director and main programmer, for a long time. He could easily get a mediocre programmer in on the project with a little persuasion. It seemed Chiro had convinced Nisino to get him in on the project and it had worked.

Nisino, throughout the entire conversation, seemed to break down more and more with every question. The detectives pushed him, searching through his mind for any and all scraps of knowledge this man had of the game and of Chiro's intentions.

It was when they asked about the notes found in Chiro's home that he snapped. From under the couch Nisino was sitting on, he whipped out a pistol, pointing it straight at the police while backing away a few steps. Then, just as quickly, he brought the pistol to his face.

"Don't follow me," muttered Nisino as he stuck the pistol in his mouth and pulled the trigger. It was too quick for the police to act. It was done. Nisino had killed himself, repeating nearly the same words written on one of Chiro's papers.

It seemed all leads had finally died. The team who created the original game was splitting up and people were becoming harder to find. It was as if they were keeping a secret. When the police finally managed to talk with anyone who had parts in the game, even obscure character or monster designers, they had nothing of interest to say.

Most of them didn't even know Chiro and the few who did only saw him once or twice while he worked on the game itself. Throughout all of this, the only confirmation they had was that Chiro was indeed the one who had worked on the very early parts of this game.

It had been a couple of months after the original children suicides and the death rate had dropped dramatically. It seemed the game was no longer giving any ill effects to children. The callback of the games that was planned was cancelled. They begun to think that maybe Takenori was right. Maybe it was just a very odd coincidence or even mass hysteria...until they received the letter.

It was given to one of the detectives himself, quite directly out on the street. It was a woman who gave him the note; she was a very frail, thin, sick looking thing. She gave him the letter quickly, telling him it was something to see and, without waiting for a response or another word, she disappeared into the crowd. The detecitve brought it to his office and, calling the others in, brought it out and read it aloud.

It was a letter written by Chiro himself, but it wasn't one found at his apartment. They had thoroughly searched and cleared out the place, so wherever this letter had come from, it wasn't kept at his home. It was signed to be given to Nisino.

It started off quite formal - a hello, how are you, regards to the family, and such. After one or two of these normal paragraphs, they reached a section that requested Nisino to get him into the game team, to get him a programming position in Pokemon Red and Green.

As the letter continued, the handwriting seemed to grow jitterier. He talked about a glorious idea he had - a way to program something unseen in any game before. He said it would certainly revolutionize not only the gaming industry, but everyone in the world.

He went on to say that it was a very simple procedure to program this idea into the game. He didn't even have to add any foreign programming and could use what was already given in the game itself. This would, the detectives agreed, make it impossible to notice any obscurities in the programming itself. It was a perfect way to hide whatever this was.

The letter ended abruptly. There was no goodbye, no say hi to the family, no write back, or thank you. There was nothing like that. There was just his name, written hard in the letter where the paper almost broke through. It was only his name. "Chiro Miura."

This was the nail in the coffin. They had no more suspicion about the cause. Chiro had programmed something into the early parts of the game, something maddening. To further increase this streak of success, they discovered the programming team had worked in pairs, even Chiro himself. He had worked with another programmer, Sousuke Tamada.

If anyone knew what the secret in this game was, Sousuke Tamada would be the man. This was their final hope of unraveling this mystery once and for all.

They learned Sousuke had provided a lot of programming to the game and seemed to be an average good guy and worker. They were easily allowed into his home - a fair place - and they entered his living room where they sat. Sousuke did not sit, however. He stood by the window of the second story floor, looking out onto the busy street. He was smiling a little.

There are no direct witnesses to the events that followed. The only thing from this conversation that remained was found on a voice recorder sitting on the table in front of the two detectives assigned to talk to Sousuke. What follows is the unedited recording.

"Sousuke Tamada, what part did you have in the games Pokemon Red and Green?" asked the first detective.

"I was a programmer." His voice was light and friendly - almost too friendly. "That's all."

"Am I right in knowing that the programmers working on the game worked in teams?" asked the detective.

One could hear the sound of feet moving on the floor slightly. "You would be right," said Sousuke, after a moment of silence.

"And your partner, his name was-" the detecitve was quickly cut off by Sousuke's eerie voice.

"Chiro Miura...that was his name. Chiro Miura."

Another silence. It seemed the detectives were a little uneasy about this man. "Could you tell us if Miura ever acted strange at all? Any particular behaviors you observed while working with him at all?"

Sousuke answered them. "I didn't really know him that well, really. We didn't meet up frequently, only every once in a while to trade data or when the entire group was called up for a meeting. That's the only times I really ever saw him. He acted normally, as far as I could tell. He was a short man and I think this affected his consciousness. He acted weaker than any other man I met. He was willing to do a lot of work to gain recognition, this I do know. I think..."

Silence. "Yes?" asked the detective, pushing him to continue. "You think what?"

"I think he was a very weak man. I think he wanted to prove himself, regardless of what he had to do. I think he wanted to make himself known for something special. Something that would make people forget about the way he looked and pay attention to the powerful mind that lay inside his skull. Unfortunately for him, however...heheh...He didn't have much of a mind to back up that reasoning."

"Why do you say that?" asked the second detective.

"Well, it's the simple truth," answered Sousuke quickly. His feet could be heard moving across the tiled floor. "He was nothing special, even if he wanted to believe so. You can't become greatness, even if you believe it. It's impossible. Somehow, I think Chiro knew this himself. Somewhere deep in there, he knew it."

The detectives were silent again, not sure how to steer the conversation. After a moment, they continued. "Can you tell us what Chiro's part of the game was? What part did he work on, exactly?"

Sousuke answered more quickly than before. "Nothing...I mean, nothing important. He worked on some obscure parts of the beginning of the game." A pause, then a little more information. "It was Professor Oak's part, to be exact. he worked on some of Oak's parts. When he's seen first, you see..."

"What else?" pushed the police. They could hear it in Sousuke's voice. He knew something. "We know you know about the children and the deaths. We know it was Chiro who did it. He programmed something into the game."

"What are you implying?" asked Sousuke. It sounded like he was trying to maintain his composure.

"We're implying that since you're his partner...If you're hiding something from us, then you could be just as much responsible for those children's deaths as Chiro himself!"

"You can't prove anything!" Sousuke shouted.

"Tell us what Chiro did to the game!" they shouted back.


Silence. Complete silence.

"You want to know, huh?" asked Sousuke finally. "You want to know what this is all about? Chiro was an idiot. He'd do anything for a bit of attnetion. He couldn't program worth a shit, either. The one thing he could do, however, was be manipulated.

You could tell him what to do and he'd do it. He wouldn't even question it. He'd just do it. Just to hear that thank you when you received the finished project was his reasons. That's all he wanted."

Two clicks from the detectives' guns could be heard.

"I could control him flawlessly. He's a lot like Takenori. Of course, none of you knew this, but I was the one who brought up the idea of the game, the idea of the entire operation. I just told the fellow what to do and he followed me without doubt. He knows nothing, just like Chiro."

The sound of a window opening could be heard, followed by the detectives' shouts.

"Don't move or we'll shoot!"

"Let me tell you about a mechanic in the game," continued Sousuke. His voice was more rushed, but still held that slyness. "Consider it a hint, all right? If you walk around in grassy areas enough, a Pokemon will appear and you'll have a chance to go into battle with it. It's a necessary part of the game overall, you see?"

"Step away from the window! We won't warn you again!"

"At the start of the game, you have to walk into the grassy area before Oak appears and you receive your first Pokemon, understand me? Under normal circumstances, it was programmed that even though you're in a grassy area, no Pokemon will spawn....but I made it different.

I manipulated that Chiro and told him what to put in the program> I gave him all the instructions on how to do it and he did it flawlessly. It's rare, but it can happen. Stepping into that grass, one can spawn..."

"Sousuke, we don't want to shoot!"

"Shoot me?" asked Sousuke, laughing at the same time. "Shoot ME? You're as dumb as Chiro was! Once he found out the truth, he had to end it! It was his fault, after all. He shot himself because of it! If you're so determined to finish that game of yours...if you want to know...play the damn game for yourself! Roll the wheel and who knows? Maybe you'll learn the secret for yourself."

A shot could be heard, loud enough to distort the audio. Sounds of screaming and murmuring followed. The table the recorder was on crashed with ear shattering distortions, silence, and then laughing. Sousuke was laughing, saying, "Come follow me...come follow me..." and then nothing.

The recorder continued to record until the tape ran out. There was nothing else on it. The police arrived on the scene quickly and, to their horror, they discovered Sousuke and the two detectives dead. They had all been shot, but not after struggling.

The detectives had been shot multiple times - at least ten each - before dying after being shot in-between their eyes. Sousuke himself had clearly died of two shots to his chest, straight through the heart. The game was causing a massacre.

At least a hundred children were dead. Nisino, the unexpecting friend, dead. Chiro, the manipulated toy, dead. The two detectives, dead. Now, even the creator, the cause of this atrocity, Sousuke, was dead. The game was stretching far over its original intentions. It was killing anyone and everyone who got involved.

The lead detective had decided to put this case away. The man who committed the crime was dead, so there was no longer any reason to continue the case. All evidence was locked away, kept in the darkness where they belonged. There were talks about the entire thing - small conversations every now and then - but over the years even these began to fade away. Eventually, the case was only a memory in the minds of those who experienced it first hand.

Ten years passed. February 27, 2006 was the date. The lead detective, the man who locked away the original evidence ten years previous, was reminded of the awful event that occurred. Although he was no longer in the force, he still had access to files and helped when he could. The reminder of the event caused him to look back and open the sealed container that held all the evidence collected.

He read through the letters and notes. He remembered the woman who had appeared to him on the street that day and handed him the letter that changed the entire case. he wondered who she was and where she had come from. Perhaps she was Chiro's mother...maybe Sousuke's. It was too late to pursue any of this. Far too late.

Sealing the container again, he noticed a second one directly behind it. He pulled it out and read the note at the top. "Evidence #2104A." He opened it up and looked inside. Filling the container were exactly 104 Pokemon Red and Green cartridges, each one in perfect condition...untouched since the day they had last checked them ten years ago.

He reached in and pulled one out - Pokemon Red. He hadn't seen one in a long time. He didn't know why, but he reached into his desk and pulled out an old Game Boy. It was his son's, who had died a few years ago. His wife was gone, too. That was then, though. Popping the cartridge in the back of the Game Boy, he turned the system on.

The title screen came up, then the option to continue or start a new game. "Tanaka." That was the child's name. The one who played it before. He was probably dead, along with the others. He pressed New Game and started. It was normal...average. He walked around, talked to his character's mother, and went outside. He started walking toward the grass.

In his head, he could still hear Sousuke's words. Even though he wasn't there, even though he had never seen the man in his life, he could still see him, hear him. "Come follow me."

He was getting closer and closer. Only a step or two away, now.

"Roll the wheel and who knows? Maybe you'll learn the secret for yourself."

He entered the grass. Nothing happened at first. It just sat there. So did the detective, completely frozen, as if time had stopped just for them. The screen went black before lighting up again, the iconic green background with black text appearing.

"Come follow me. Come follow me. Come follow me. I miss you, dad. I miss you, my husband. I miss you so much."

Tears formed in his eyes, falling down his cheeks. Screens and screens of text appeared and he rapidly clicked the A button to continue it. It was his wife and child. They were speaking to him, calling to him, crying with him. They wanted to see him. They loved him and he loved them.

"I love you too," muttered the man in a hoarse, scratching voice.

"Come follow me. Become new again. We want to see you and hold you. We want to be with you forever and ever and ever and ever."


"Don't stay away. You can see us, too. We miss you. Come follow me. We love yo-"

A black screen. The detective's eyes grew wide, his jaw dropping. The screen lit back up and Oak was leading him out of the grass. "Come," said Oak. "Follow me."

"NO!" shouted the man, dropping the game on the floor. He quickly fell forward, reaching for it and bringing the screen back up to his face. "Bring them back! Bring them back to me!" The game continued on as usual, not responding to the detective at all. "My wife! My child! Listen to me! Bring them back to me, I said!"

Voices...he heard voices. Hundreds of voices. He turned around from his seat, looking behind him, and standing in the small room were children...many children. Some had no eyes, some had rings around their throats, and some were burned all across their bodies. They were screaming and reaching towards him.

"Bring back my mommy! Bring back my daddy! Bring back my pet!" they all screamed out, reaching for the game, their mouths agape with horror and pain. "I don't want them to go away! Bring them back to me! Bring them back to me!"

"No!" shouted the detective. "It's mine! My family is here! Don't touch it!" Horror spread across his face.

"Come follow me," said a voice. The lead detective looked over and in the corner of the room, next to an old desk, was Sousuke. He stood in the corner; he was tall, handsome, and clean. A smile was stretched across his face. "Come follow me."

The lead detecitve jumped back, trying to force away the children crawling towards him, reaching out for the game held tightly within his hands. "Wh...what's going on here? What's going on? Where is my family?"

Sousuke smiled generously. "I'll show you. I'll help you get away from them, you see? Just follow me." Sousuke reached down and opened a drawer on the old desk. The lead detective, pushing through the crowd of children, looked inside.

Sitting there, covered with dust, was his old gun from when he was on the force. He hadn't used that gun in many years and had it put away, not wanting to remember the things he had to do with it. Right now, though, he didn't see it as something that caused pain or that killed.

It was shining. It was light. It was something that could set him free. "Just follow me," said Sousuke, picking up the gun and putting it in the lead detective's hand. He formed his hand to hold the gun and brought it to his temple. "Just pull the trigger. That's all."

The lead detective turned around. The children were crawling at him, grabbing his legs and pulling at him. They reached for the game. The man turned back towards Sousuke and smiled.

"My family...I'll follow you." He pulled the trigger. Bang. His brains spread the wall as he fell to the ground, dead. It was a few days before the body was discovered. It lie on the floor, blood everywhere. In one hand held an empty gun and in the other was a Game Boy with Pokemon Red in it. The battery had long died and only an empty, black creen was left.

This was the final murder that the remaining authorities would allow. The last detective who was ever a part of this case personally carried all 104 cartridges away and burned them all, making sure not a single one survived. They would taunt no more.

However, this is not the end of the story. The code was said to have survived and was even passed on to other languages of the games. If you have an old Pokemon game, you can place the cartridge in the back of a Game Boy, turn on the system, and roll the wheel. Who knows? Maybe you'll learn the secret for yourself.


  1. lol it's Poke'mon. Just doesn't work as a murder weapon.

  2. Excellent story I must say.

  3. I knew the police did something productive with their time,! They play gameboys. Of course... I don't know what all the fuss is about.

  4. it was really really cool until the OUT OF THE BLUE ending. it went from realistic "woah this happened?" story to "crazy ghost story" in the blink of an eye and ruined the whole thing

    1. Agreed... What a fantastic story, except for the skewing from reality toward the end.
      Still good though, I'd say 8/10

  5. Excellent story. I loved every word of it.

  6. Good story. Liked it. Just wonder how someone could know this?

  7. It was good until the wtf ending. Like ghost grabbing at his feet? I get the scare, but the story started like a legit case of messing with the programming, seeming very real,than ghosts appear. Please. You should have scratched the last few paragraphs, I feel I wasted time reading

  8. Mmm, one of my fave pastas. [/nostalgia read]

    And without the annoying [?]'s! HUZZAH. I think I love you, Inu-kun.

  9. I don't have to fear... I have pokémon Blue! ;D

  10. The ending was the only part where we could see the story from a particular character's perspective.

    And that ruined it.

  11. To bad the ending ruined it.
    Not exaclty knowing what was changed in the programming and not knowing what exactly happend made it scary. Also, the ending is written from the eyes of an apparently dead men.. which is impossible and unbelievable. To bad, because I was actually getting paranoid and scared to play Pokémon Red or Green.
    But next to that, it was a great pasta :)

  12. great story! pretty believable until the end... and the fact that sousuke tamada is still alive, and credited for programing the last few pkmn games. lol I would be pretty creeped out if I was him. this would make an awesome plot for a manga/anime tho XD

  13. It only affects those who have lost loved ones and want them back, right? That's what I gathered, anyway... :o

    Still a pretty good story, but that makes it a bit less threatening, I think not knowing exactly what happened would actually have been much scarier.

  14. I have Pokemon Leaf Green from Japan. 0.o