Friday, November 19, 2010

The Fallout Effect

June 17, 2012
It's my tenth birthday and I can't believe I have to put up with this crap. I hate my dad. Why would he make such a stupid decision? why did he move into this stupid Vivos vault when I was a baby? It's my birthday today and instead of having fun and playing outside like a regular kid, I get to eat some crappy-tasting cake in a cramped cafeteria.

Almost everyone here is either a complete whack job or a jerk. The only real friend I have is Amata. I can always count on her. It's times like this I think that I wouldn't be in this situation if it weren't for mom dying. I think it was her death that drove dad to make us move down here. My party's gonna start in about an hour and hopefully dad at least managed to find me something decent.

June 25, 2012
I think dad's gone crazy. He gave me a fucking gun. I don't know what I'm supposed to do with it down in this vault, but he doesn't seem to care. Mr. Almodover, or "The Overseer" as he likes to call himself, gave me a pretty cool digital watch. I wear it so much it's like it's welded to my wrist. I got nothing of value from anyone else.

December 28, 2012
It's past the "day of the apocalypse" and nothing has happened. Big surprise. My dad keeps insisting that the end will soon be upon us and that I should be thankful I'm in such a protected place. I try to convince him he's mad, but he won't pay me any mind.

February 13, 2014
I sneaked into my dad's office today. Him being the vault's only dentist, he has information on all the residents. I figured I might be able to get some inside information on Christine by accessing his computer. I found nothing and was about to leave before I noticed his personal journals were left open. I read the most recent entry.

"The Novocain transport pipe has a leak at point 323-XY3. A constant supply of Novocain is being added to the air supply. Due to the security and health implications of repairing it, we have decided to leave it be. The dosage is said to be small enough to have no effect on residents." I couldn't understand most of what he was talking about. I heard his footsteps approaching, so I quickly ran back to my room.

January 16, 2015
I was incredibly bored one day, as I was most days, so I decided to snoop around dad's office. he has a bobble-head with a huge medical syringe on his desk for some reason. I found his journals again and decided to read. "The gap has slowly widened over the last year. The Novocain doses are increasing. At this level, we expect minor brain damage as a side effect. I warned Alphonse of the implications, but he's gone mad with power. At this rate, the leak is doomed to increase in size. Permanent brain damage will be the result. I wouldn't be surprised if hallucinations start to set in after enough time has passed. I hope to God things resolve themselves."

I didn't know what Novocain was, but I sure knew what brain damage was. I immediately confronted my dad about what he wrote. He passed it off as a novel he was writing. It explains things better than it being true. I'll choose to believe it. For  now.

August 04, 2017
I'm suffering from what I believe are terrible hallucinations. I keep seeing giant cockroaches and my watch has become oddly high tech. I vaguely remembered my dad's journal talking about this, so I ran to his office and started reading. "I'm sure of it. Everyone is going mad from the Novocain. They're starting to fabricate things in their senses. The terrifying thing is that these hallucinations even penetrate one's memories. It's as if it completely alters your perception. Everything is livable, no one is crazy beyond reason, but if things persist to an unbearable point, I'll be forced to try to repair the pipe myself."

This was ridiculous. Why would dad say such things? The giant roaches have always been there. Ever since I was born. I even shot one on my birthday! Andy the robot had worked at dad's office for years. He was even at my party! The sheer implication he was making, that people were starting to go crazy...it's just preposterous. I'm sure this is just an inventive story of him. I'm sure everything's fine.

September 24, 2018
Today is the day of the big test! I'm really excited! I hope I'll become a Laundry Cannon Operator...Ooh! Or maybe a Pip-Boy Programmer! That would be so cool! Well, I better get going; I don't want to be late. Hopefully, I won't run into Butch and the Tunnel Snakes on my way there.

March 11, 2021
I found a note from my father. "Son, the vault is falling into ruin. I need to try my best to repair the Novocain pipe. For some reason, I'm the only one not affected by the gas. If I don't succeed or something goes wrong, I'm leaving the vault. Son, you mustn't leave. Everyone in the vault has gone homicidal and I don't know what they'll do to you. I'm not even sure if you can understand this letter. But just know that I love you." Dad is so silly.

March 12, 2021
Amata woke me up. She said there was a lock down. Officers were patrolling the halls and my father had escaped. She gave me a pistol and ran off. My God, I see what's happened. My father wasn't crazy. He was telling the truth! He was trying to save us all Everything I knew was a figment of my own creation. The ridiculous uniforms everyone wore the giant cockroaches, the robot doctor....it was all so ridiculous! How could I have been so stupid?!

I ran out of my room, determined to escape with my father. I cut a path of blood along my way, shooting what I thought were giant roaches and officers. Who knew if they were real or not? I shot the Overseer in cold blood and walked away from the sobbing form that was Amata. The exit to the vault was just within reach. I could feel my mind on fire. Everything warped before my eyes. I collapsed to the ground.

Date Unknown
I woke up at the entrance to the vault. I still had my uniform. I still had my Pip-Boy. It was all the same. I looked around. A barren landscape extended for miles. I was free of the vault, yet everything remained the same. How could this be? It hit me. It's all real. I was sane; my father was the crazy one. I had entered into a new, post-apocalyptic world and it was mine for the taking! I felt unstoppable! I picked up a radio signal on my watch and started running through the scorched field. On the horizon was what appeared to be a shanty town of some sort. I had a good feeling about this. I was on top of the world. I was unstoppable. I was the Lone Wanderer!

Subject 134 is one of our most interesting cases. We have no name for him, but he calls himself "the Lone Wanderer." He was found running around the Mojave Desert screaming, shouting, and talking to random foliage. he was also reported to be seen shooting at wildlife with a BB gun. Upon closer interrogation, he insists upon thinking he's in a post-apocalyptic landscape. He insists upon calling me Lucas Simms, the sheriff of some place he calls "Megaton." 

He keeps telling us that his cell is a house I provided him with upon diffusing the bomb in the center of town. The bomb he is referring to is what I believe to be the sculpture in the courtyard. We let him out occasionally. He always has the same reaction. He insists upon being in an apocalyptic world. We have no idea where he came from; he appeared to pop up out of nowhere. All we know for sure is that he shows little hope for improvement.

25 comments:

  1. Great creative and original story. Absolutely loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good. but the only inaccuracy is that they say the Lone Wanderer is running around the Mojave Desert. Fallout 3 took place in the DC area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats just where they found him in reality, he probably still believes he's in DC

    ReplyDelete
  4. May even be an allusion to Fallout New Vegas which takes place in the Mojave. Bear in mind, it's not called the Fallout 3 effect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is no Amata in New Vegas. So it must take place in DC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That, and the "Lone Wanderer" was the player character in Fallout 3. The player character in Fallout New Vegas is the "Courier."

    ReplyDelete
  7. You misunderstood. I think what could be going on is that because the fact he was found in the Mojave is utterly unrelated to the hallucinations because it's real life, it could be an allusion to New Vegas. He thinks he's in DC and seeing Amata but because it's all in his head and his head is portable his physical location has no bearing on where his mind thinks he is. Basically, he thinks he's in DC but the fact he's actually in the Mojave could be a reference to New Vegas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Damn, Novocaine is hard shit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh i see what you did there! ... I Am the Cheese

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your writing, Inunah. Perhaps you'd be interested in posting your work on my website, creepypasta.com? We're the largest creepypasta collective on the internet, and you'd gain a large audience.

    Register on the forums (http://www.creepypasta.com/forums/index.php) if you want feedback on your work, but you can submit it as is if you want.

    So, visit us if you want! We have a large and active community.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another story drought? damn...

    ReplyDelete
  12. NEED MOAR PASTA NOW.
    :(

    I hate story droughts....

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Sarah, Inunah doesn't write all this, she just finds them on the internet and posts them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty cool story, but wasn`t Amata born in 2258 and Lone Wanderer born in the same year?

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the stories here, but i have a few innaccuracies for you, 1 in f3 your charactor believes the vault has been sealed for 200+ years so the idea that dad moved there because mom died is a loophole in plot, for both the story and game, second if the dr is simms then how did he survive the bomb? i dont know anyone who accually kept megaton around... but im not nitpicking, i love the stories but i know some people like contructive critisizm

    ReplyDelete
  16. Why do they need an entire pipe for novocaine? Even if they don't believe in toothbrushes, there's no way a town needs more than a couple of gallons a year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. THEN WHO WAS THE BOBBLEHEAD?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I cAn SiNg In WeLsHMay 20, 2011 at 10:04 AM

    #6 Anon
    -You have to remember that all his memories have changed, so he may have made some other way of his mom dieing, like in the real game.
    -The doctor didn't need to survive the bomb because there was no bomb
    -There is no such thing as Megaton-it's the main character's insane mind

    ReplyDelete
  19. Replies
    1. You posted that on my birthday!

      Delete
  20. Wow BOTH spam bots next to each other!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hate this story, because it makes no sense. Novocain is an injected liquid, not a gas. It wouldn't enter the air supply if the pipe leaked. (Why would they even have a novocain pipe?) Even if it did, it wouldn't cause anything like the hallucinations described.

    When you try to come up for a "realistic" cause for these and bungle it this badly, it's far, far worse than just saying, for example, that giant radioactive space gnomes made them crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I find weird is that according to the dates, a ten year old kid said fucking.

      Delete
  22. "The Novocain transport pipe has a leak at point 323-XY3. A constant supply of Novocain is being added to the air supply". LOL! when I read this part I instantly thought of Green Day's Give Me Novocaine from the American Idiot album. Played that song for the rest f the story too.

    ReplyDelete