Monday, November 15, 2010

Dream Memories

Do you ever have dreams that give you false memories? Something happens in a dream, and you remember it, it can be as inconsequential as an imaginary episode of your favorite TV show, or an important childhood memory that should have completely changed your life. I started having a series of dreams like this.

In the dream, I was in a small house in the middle of a huge, empty field. I was just standing in the living room of the house, thinking. I had memories of myself in the house, decades ago, I was remembering something from when I was 2 or 3. I was in the house, I heard pounding on the door. I didn't know where my parents were, I was terrified, crying. The pounding got louder and louder, and eventually the door crashed down, and I woke up.

A few nights later, I had the dream again. I was in a dark, locked room, at my current age. I couldn't get out, and started thinking back to that imaginary day from my childhood. It picked up where the last memory stopped, someone had just entered the room. He was waving a huge knife, shouting something I couldn't understand.

I tried to run, I ran to a door on the other side of the room, but no matter how hard I tried my hands kept slipping on the handle and I couldn't get the door open. The man with the knife kept screaming something I couldn't understand, and started walking towards me. I was too scared to move at this point, and the dream ended when the man was standing right in front of me, and had just raised his knife.

I wanted to talk to someone about these dreams, but there was something holding me back, some kind of fear that I couldn't explain. I didn't do anything, and soon, I had yet another dream. I was sitting in a chair, completely restrained. My memory returned to that day from my childhood. Again, it picked up right where the previous dream had ended.

The man stabbed me, I felt pain, more pain than I ever had in a dream. He kept stabbing, and soon I was floating above the room, looking down at my dead body. He kept stabbing, long after I had died, and I couldn't do anything but watch. This went on for hours, and then I finally woke up. I was too scared to keep this to myself any longer, and told someone.

It's amazing the kind of tricks your mind can play on you. I told a friend about the dreams about a year ago. They told some other people, people very interested in the dream. I stupidly told them all the details of the dream, if I had just kept my mouth shut, none of this would have happened, and I wouldn't be locked up, and about to die. It turned out my dream was true, except for one little detail. I should have known my dream wasn't possible, but like I said, dreams have a way of making you believe anything.

I hate dreams, the solution was so obvious, but I was blinded by my "memories." I hate myself, hate my subconscious. I would have been free, wouldn't have even had the guilt, but my dreams changed that. All they had to do was make me forget which one I was that night.

(This story is credited to a person called KI Simpson.)

3 comments:

  1. I've had dream memories. One time,when I was 5 or 6, I remember watching TV, and seeing a commercial for a sonic/splinter cell crossover. I remember a person standing behind a wall (I think he was the good guy. I don't know much about splinter cell)ready to kill some kind of guard. He is talking to someone on his walkie talkie. Then, a flash of blue kills the guard. "What the hell?!" the walkie talkie says.Then, the commercial shows some gameplay. It seemed like some regular splinter cell gameplay, but sonic would tag along and kill enemies for you and stuff. I simply ignored it as another commercial.
    Don't really remember anything else about it. Not even sure it's a dream. But what really scary is that my little mind couldn't conjure up such perfect dreams. I wasn't able to separate it from real life at all. Also, I barely know anything about splinter cell.I've always thought the game in the commercial was real, but there was no trace of anything ever being there. I am still confused about it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had a memory dream, I was walking with my brother and mother from a deli. Suddenly, I tripped and lye there. Nobody helped me or looked at me. I then saw the headlights of my grandfathers truck. I'm scared to death since this is the only dream I've remembered all these years.

    ReplyDelete